I've gotten a lot of feedback on my Chicken Parm Calzone posted here, so I wanted to share another great calzone recipe that I've tried. In my opinion, this is even better (and easier) than the chicken parm! Try it and let me know what you think!
- 1 ball of pizza dough (or make your own)
- 1 pkg. chicken (I used tenders)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Sprinkle a little cornmeal onto your pizza stone
3) Roll out dough into a semi-rectangular shape (make sure dough is room temperature before you start rolling)
4) Once dough is rolled, leave about 4 inches in the center and cut approx. 1 1/2-2 inch strips on each side (see picture below)
5) In the meantime, boil a pot of water and add chicken breast tenders. Boil chicken approx. 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Drain chicken and let cool.
6) Next, heat approx. 1 tsp. olive oil in a frying pan and add chopped red onion. Saute about 3-4 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
7) Once chicken is cooled down, shred/cut chicken into pieces
8) Place chicken into bowl and add onion, bbq sauce and cilantro
9) Combine mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and mix together. Spread approx. 1/2 cup on dough
10) Add chicken mixture and spread evenly
11) Top with remainder of cheese mixture and remainder of cilantro
12) Close calzone by criss-crossing the cut strips of the dough (see picture below).
13) Brush egg white on enclosed calzone (this helps to brown up the crust)
14) Bake for 25-30 minutes
Perfect for a football game or holiday party! I promise you, your guests will LOVE it.