If you follow my blog at all, you may know that I've been trying to incorporate some "meatless meals" 1-2 nights a week. This is one that I love! It's packed with protein, iron, folate, fiber, vitamin B, antioxidants and the "good fat" that avocados provide. I also love how it looks so festive! I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but that rule doesn't apply here. This one tastes just as good as it looks!
- 1 can black beans or approx. 1 cup of dried black beans
(NOTE: Be careful when buying black beans. Not all are treated equal! If you are going to use canned, make sure to check the ingredients and nutrition label. Look for no added salt and as little ingredients as possible. I like Eden's Organic Black Beans. I've also tried using dry, but they require a bit of planning as they need to be soaked in water overnight.)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare 1/2 cup brown rice, as directed on package.
- Halfway through rice being cooked (approx. 15 minutes after starting rice), heat pan with 1 tsp. canola oil over medium heat.
- Add black beans, 1 tsp. paprika and 1 tsp. cumin to pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes, corn, salsa, cilantro, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. cumin, salt and pepper to bowl and mix together.
- Add to pan with black beans and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When rice is done, combine with black bean/tomato mixture and heat on low for 1-2 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Top with avocado slices and savor every bite!