Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Little Microwave Odor Trick

With the weather being so nice lately and every weekend being filled with fun summer activities, I've really been neglecting my home. This morning I told myself I could not do anything until I did a thorough cleaning! On top of the usual bathroom, dusting, vacuuming and mopping routine, I was determined to find a way to rid our microwave of that terrible lingering zapped food smell. I don't know if I'm the only one that finds microwave odors repulsive, but ugh! They're terrible. My feelings against the microwave are another story for another day (I'm contemplating getting rid of it altogether), but while its still in my house, I'd at least like to keep it clean!  I remember my mom using baking soda whenever she wanted to eliminate an odor growing up so I tried a little experiment, and to my surprise - it actually worked!

Here is the formula:

Step 1:
Wipe down your microwave with water and a sponge (and a little dish soap if there are any troublesome spots)



+

Step 2:
In a microwave safe bowl, add 2 cups of water and approx. 4 tbsp. of baking soda. Microwave for 5 minutes.



+

Step 3:
Rinse out the baking soda/water mixture and add another 2 cups of water and 3-4 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice. Microwave for 5 minutes. (I figured lemon was good for a spring/summer scent. In the fall/winter try vanilla extract)



+

Step 4:
Wipe down the microwave one more time with water and a sponge.
(If the odor is still lingering.... put a little bit of baking soda in a small bowl and let sit for a couple hours or overnight. The baking soda should absorb the remaining odor)



= 

An odor-free microwave!





No comments:

Post a Comment