Friday, June 29, 2012

Roadtrip Recap: DC & OBX

I've been on a bit of a blogging hiatus lately due to too much fun, I suppose! I got back last weekend from a week-long roadtrip to DC and the Outer Banks. The main reason for the trip was to see one of my beautiful friends get married in North Carolina. My husband and I decided to break up the trip a bit and spend a few days in DC. We had both never done the whole touristy thing, so in true american fashion we put on our walking shoes, charged up the camera battery and walked (what felt like a marathon) around The District. We hit up all the monuments, checked out a handful of museums, explored George Washington's estate, took a tour of the Capital building and ended the tourist extravaganza with a trip to Arlington National Cemetary. Whew! Here are a few photo highlights from our trip:

On the road!

Our lovely accomodations

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Washington Monument with the "Big Red One",
honoring the first division of the United States Army

WWII Memorial

my fav part of the trip :)

NH ~ Live Free or Die!

Mount Vernon ~ George Washington's BEAUTIFUL estate

Capital Building

Arlington National Cemetary

While we loved exploring the nation's capital, after a 9 hour drive and 3 and a half days on foot, we were ready for the BEACH! Another 5 hours on the road later, we finally arrived to our beautiful 5-bedroom house in the OBX! The remainder of the week was spent relishing in fun in the sun, beach, and booze glory, with lots of new friends. Those that know me know that anywhere there is a beach, I'll be happy. But what made this trip so special was being able to share in and celebrate the union of 2 people we absolutely adore! I met the bride, Janet, 5 years ago when I graduated college. I needed a roommate and all my college friends were still in the post-college job search process, so I reluctantly resorted to craigslist. Somehow roommate fate brought Janet and I together, and I knew right off the bat that we would become fast friends. I remember the day she came home from a carribean cruise and told me "I met the man I'm going to marry!"  I (and her future husband) may have thought she was crazy to make such a statement so soon, but once I met Jay, it was undeniable they were meant for each other. Although life has brought us to different states and I don't see Janet as often as I'd like, she is a one-of-a-kind friend and everyone who knows her can't help but love her. My husband also has a slight bromance with Jay, so its only natural that we both wouldn't miss their wedding for the world! Their wedding week was beyond perfect and totally "Janet and Jay". Here are some highlights from this leg of the trip:


Almost there!


Our house

Living Room


Our private dock

Welcome Bag

Beach, beers and good tunes :)

View from the Welcome BBQ hosted by the groom's parents

A little pool time before the wedding

Before the ceremony at Marshes Lighthouse
Manteo, NC

Here comes the bride!

Vows

Beautiful couple...
and have to point out the Reverend's bare feet :)

Reception at 108 Budleigh
Manteo, NC

Cocktail Hour
Fajita Bar ~ such a cute idea!

My husband and I :)

Aren't they the cutest?

What a stunning bride!

I have to say this was one of my favorite weddings I've ever been to. Laid back, amazing location, beautifully decorated and perfectly customized to the couple's personality.

Overall a fun and memorable roadtrip!

No comments:

Post a Comment